Valentine's Day countdown banner

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Voila, Or, It's About Time!

About 18 months ago my enabler sister sent me a link she found on eBay for old wood type drawers. Now what, you ask, would I do with type drawers? Some people use them to display curios or create a collage. Old fashioned metal (or wood if you can find them) type pieces look very neat. But they can also be used to store beads and other small pieces.



The drawers were being sold by a man in a nearby town who was retiring from the printing business. So off I treked and purchased all he had for about $1.00 each. They are made of oak and have a terrific worn look to them. While I was at the shop I noticed that he had an oak wooden cabinet with 12 drawers in it. He said it was made about 1890 and he wasn't sure he was going to sell it but he would let me know. Sure enough I got a phone call, so off I went again.



Fast forward 18 months and the cabinet is still sitting in the barn outside unfinished. I was hoping that either my husband or son would volunteer to refinish it for me, but you know how that goes. So I finally got myself in gear and stripped, sanded, stained and finished the cabinet. It is "distressed" because it was used heavily for over 120 years, but I think it looks terrific now. It even has the original cast metal hardware in it.



So what do I use it for? Besides my assemblage and found art work I like to design and create my own jewelry, which tends to follow the assemblage theme also. I have a stash of pieces that I have collected and really need a place to store everything neatly. This cabinet will be perfect and will free up room to neatly store other supplies.



Here's a couple of pics of the final project:


No comments:

Post a Comment